The project involved the design and construction of a new single platform railway station at Newcourt, Exeter between Digby and Sowton Station and Topsham Station on the Exmouth Junction to Exeter line.
The commission involved careful co-ordination of the various design elements from the different design disciplines.
The adjacent single line was fully operational during the works and one particular engineering challenge was assisting Dyer and Butler in devising a method of work which would minimise disruption to the existing permanent way during the installation of the new foundations.
The following main works were undertaken;
- Construction of a new 124m long and 3m wide platform on the west side of the single line on Liberty Way, Exeter. Complete with; new fencing, a waiting shelter, a cycle shelter, seats, lighting, CCTV, signage and customer information system.
- Construction of a small car park for disabled persons only. The new car park is accessed from Liberty Way.
- Installation of drainage to the new car park and footpaths which connects to the drainage in Liberty Way.
- Adjustment to the Permanent Way through the new station.
- Provision of a new electrical supply cubicle connected to the DNO supply.
- Installation of drainage from the new platform to a new soakaway.
- Soft landscaping works.
- Construction of new concrete retaining walls and foundations.
- Installation of precast concrete planks & platform beams to form the main deck and supporting structure for the new platform.
CASE Consultants undertook the detailed design of the structural elements and worked closely with Dyer and Butler under a Design and Build Contract for the Client Network Rail.
CASE Consultants was acquired by TDA Group in 2019